Safety First Culture
AT WVCC, “Safety is priority one.” While that may be just a slogan for many companies, at WVCC we demonstrate our commitment to safety every day by providing substantial resources, education, and training to do the job right while protecting the safety of our customers, our employees and the general public. Our focus is accident prevention with the goal of ZERO incidents.
West Valley’s Safety Program is comprehensive, and one of the best in the Industry as indicated by our insurance loss prevention advisors and demonstrated by our safety statistics. Our President, Kevin Kelly, is very involved in safety, monitoring results daily. He leads the Executive Safety Committee that meets at least every two weeks to review all safety-related issues and statistics.
Our Safety professionals understand the importance of spending time in the field observing and coaching managers and crew members daily, and prove that behavioral modification is the best method to use in achieving our “safety first” culture.
- Our Comprehensive Safety Program includes:
- 1. Executive Safety Committee Meetings at least twice a month led by the President of the Company and including senior executives and the safety team.
- 2. Employee “Stop Work” Authority, authorizing every employee to stop work when they detect a dangerous condition or act.
- 3. Incident Review Committee (IRC) Meetings within 2 workdays of time-sensitive safety incident.
- 4. A highly selective hiring process to ensure employees with the right attitude and commitment to safety.
- 5. Extensive New Hire Orientation reviewing WVCC’s safety program.
- 6. Foreman’s Kit providing an extensive file of information, forms, policies and procedures at their “finger tips”, enabling each foreman to successfully and safely complete jobs while minimizing risk.
- 7. Stretch and Flex exercise program each morning to reduce exposure to strains and sprains on-the-job.
- 8. Safety Bonus Incentive Program to reward foremen, superintendents and direct managers based on safety performance.
- 9. Emergency Safety Alerts communicated throughout the Company.
- 10. Daily Jobsite Tailgate Safety Meetings.
- 11. Monthly All Hands Safety Meetings.
- 12. Bi-annual Company-wide Foremen and Managers’ Safety Meetings.
- 13. Construction Motor Vehicle and Driver Qualification Policy ensuring that all vehicles and equipment are expertly operated and maintained.
- 14. OSHA 30 training for all managers.
- 15. OSHA 10 training for all foremen.
From the President down, WVCC lives the “safety first” culture every day. All members of the Executive Safety Committee have worked in the field during their careers. They have a true respect for the job our crew members perform every day, and are committed to their safety and a 100% accident-free workplace.